Our Favorite Protege, Morley Safer, Has Died At 84

Morley Safer

Journalist Morley Safer, left, with The Daily Quarterly editor Brian DiMaio, right. After a stint at The Daily Quarterly Safer found himself in Vietnam reporting on the war. As the story goes DiMaio feared for Safer’s safety so he enlisted and was assigned to Safer’s security detatchment effectively keeping Safer safer. Rumor has it that DiMaio did such a thing solely for the wordplay. Others say DiMaio felt Safer had a good shot at being the longest reporter on staff at the longest running and highest grossing news program.

New York—Former star of CBS’s “60 Minutes” and Vietnam War news correspondent Morley Safer died Thursday. He was 84.

Safer had just retired from the longest-running television news magazine last week. The program even aired a retrospective on his incredibly impressive career Sunday night.

Showing off the grit and talent that we saw years ago here at The Daily Quarterly when he was just a young intern, Safer joined “60 Minutes” in 1970, replacing Harry Reasoner. He would go on to complete 919 stories for the program, and his 46 years made him the longest-tenured reporter there, longer even than Connie Chung, even.

Besides the prestige of having a stint at TDQ on his resume, Safer also won during his long career: three Peabody awards, three Overseas Press Club awards, two George Polk Memorial awards, a Robert F. Kennedy Journalism first prize for domestic television, the Fred Friendly First Amendment award, 12 Emmys and a Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres from the French Government.

He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Jane, a daughter, Sarah Bakal, and three grandchildren.

“60 Minutes” Bringing In New Blood To Host Show: Lance Bass, Shia LaBeouf, Seth Meyers And Usher Will Be New “Reporters”

New York—In an effort to attract new, younger viewers, CBS News weekly magazine and Sunday night stalwart “60 Minutes” announced yesterday that this would be the last season they use “Edward R. Murrow-style reporters” and will be shifting to four new “news anchor-likes” next fall with the hiring of Shia LaBeouf, Lance Bass, Usher and Seth Meyers.

“Obviously snagging Meyers out from under NBC is the biggest coup,” said newly hired executive producer Miles Anniston. “He brings the credibility that was necessary to the new news crew. We’re just thrilled.”

Who would you like to see as the new 60 Minutes crew?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Anniston said that each of the four co-hosts CBS News hired could easily carry the show themselves, but felt that the mix and chemistry of the four together would balance the show well and attract the demographic that the news program had lost over the last 40 years or so. Continue reading