Lauer said he wanted to set the record straight before anybody asked that, just like his lack of involvement in the Ann Curry firing debacle last year, he is not responsible for the pending cancellation of Katie Couric’s talk show on ABC.
“It would be bad journalism and completely wrong for anybody to jump to the absurd conclusion that I am behind the cancellation of that garbage, ‘The Katie Couric Show’, or whatever the hell it’s called,” Lauer said at the outset of his press conference. “I did not have any communication whatsoever with anyone in charge at ABC and force them to cancel the program because Katie made the career-killing choice to not return to ‘The Today Show’ last fall despite my best efforts at convincing her to come back, and this is my ingenious way of getting back at that no-talent cow.”
Lauer said he was terribly disappointed that somebody would question his possible involvement in tanking Couric’s show, and wondered if entertainment and other types of journalists didn’t have anything better to do than try and implicate him in something that hasn’t even officially been announced yet, though it will be via press release this Friday at 2 pm Eastern.
“And let me state unequivocally right now that any phone records that might prove I was on the phone with the president of ABC between 3:22 and 3:38 last Friday afternoon would be completely forged. I was, uh, playing golf at that time. Yeah. Golf. Playing golf. With friends. At a golf course. Not on the phone.”
At that point, Lauer abruptly ended the press conference without taking questions from reporters.