Looking Forward To The Impending NFL Lockout? Yahoo! Is!

Yahoo! Fantasy Owners?

Is this a Yahoo! Fantasy Owners beta screenshot? It depends on who you ask.

Sunnyvale—As the impending NFL lockout looms, millions of football fans are already starting to worry if there is going to be a work stoppage in the most popular sport in America. In franchise cities businesses are bracing for the real possibility that they may lose vital revenue generated from their team’s home games. Online, thousands of die-hards are wondering what they will do in August when they are supposed to be holding their Fantasy Football Drafts. It seems no one will be a winner if and when this labor dispute boils over. No one, that is, except for the folks over at Yahoo!

An email from Yahoo!  CEO Carol Bartz giving an update on one of their latest products has been intercepted, and quite by accident. The email was intended for Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams; however it wound up in the inbox of Trevor “Bud” Adams, EMT & Paramedics Instructor at the College of Southern Nevada. Mr. Adams, who has a rating of 5.0 on www.ratemyprofessors.com, forwarded his email on to the Collegiate Review, the student newspaper at the college. The content of the email has revealed that Yahoo! has been working with Adams and other owners including Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys to develop a new fantasy product for football fans.

“Fantasy Owners Beta 2.021 has tested well over the last two weeks. Our programmers have assured me that final adjustments in code will be complete by Monday and we could go live as soon as Thursday March 10th…………………….name recognition of most of your fellow owners should not be a problem with the avatars that graphic design has developed for each owner…all avatars have been approved except for that of Robert Kraft. If you do have any communication with Mr. Kraft can you remind him that this is time sensitive and we need him to understand this is a digital resemblance and not intended to be an acurate (sic) true life depiction”  –Excerpt from Carol Bartz email

While some fear that this email and the resulting revelation that the owners have been working with Yahoo! at developing this “fantasy owners” game may damage talks and mediation that have been ongoing between the union and the owners, Miami Dolphins Union Rep Ricky Williams said this on Twitter this afternoon:

Fantasy Owners? LMAO! Do they really think da boyz (sic) here in Miami even know who the owners are? Hell we can name more Angry Birds then (sic)owners. –@RickyWilliams

While Bud Adams, the Tennessee Titans and the National Football League have all refused to comment on the email or the new product, Yahoo! released the following statement on their website:

In reference to the development of new products, services, and games, we here at Yahoo! are always looking to be leaders in innovation and refer to our “What We Value” directive on innovation which states,  “We thrive on creativity and ingenuity. We seek the innovations and ideas that can change the world. We anticipate market trends and move quickly to embrace them. We are not afraid to take informed, responsible risk”

Yahoo! has cut 4% of it’s workforce in the last six months.